IMPROVMENTS ON THE HOMESTEAD THE FIRST FOUR MONTHS OF LIVING HERE. PART 2.

 A couple of weeks after I moved in, I had to do something about the bathroom. There is only one in the entire house, and it is quite small. There was a bathtub here when I moved in, that left no room for a washing machine, nor was it very practical due to the water spilling everywhere. So my dad helped out with removing the bathtub and getting a shower and a washing machine. It was quite the task to get that machine up to the second floor where the bathroom is located, using a staircase that's not strait, so you have to lift while at the same time go around a corner. We were relieved when we finally got everything in it's place! I also painted the walls since the colour wasn't that pleasant to look at. I am happy with how the bathroom is for now, I got just what I need to get by and thats quite alright with me!

Small bathrooms are fast to clean, and I certainly don't mind!

Another issue that needed to get fixed as soon as possible, was a rather big one, the chimney. It's old, and didn't live up to the fire regulations that are today, so it had to be upgraded. I did have permission to use my wood stove, but not too frequently, making it a big issue since there is quite a need to use wood as a heating source in such a cold climate. I was so thankful for the heating pump at this point, but on really cold days it couldn't keep the temperature up without help. And using only electricity would cost a fortune these days. I quickly got used to living with a lower temperature inside then I used to when I lived in a modern house. You dress better and close the doors, only having heat on when and where it's needed. And houses like these have lots of doors everywhere just for this purpose.

It wasn't easy finding someone to take on this job, as everyone was too busy. I had to wait three months to get it done, and even that was considered fast. I was lucky to get it done before Christmas. Now I am quite relieved to be able to heat my home with wood as often as I want, and knowing it is safe. 

My chimney before it was rehabilitated. This room is between my kitchen and my living room. The black pipe is connected to my wood stove.

The job is done, and now there is a steel pipe inside, making it safe to use the wood stove again.

My neat little wood stove. It's pretty old. Probably about 40 years or more. It will be replaced soon with a modern kitchen wood stove, that will be able to both cook food and bake bread. I'm really looking forward to it!

Part 3 is my next post. I hope you are enjoying your weekend!
Heidi


Comments

Popular Posts